1.21.2011

Nehru and Lady Mountbatten... were they or weren't they?

My Hindi tutor told me that I had to see the Henri Cartier-Bresson exhibit at the SFMOMA and she, as always, was right.  The exhibit is at the museum until January 30th, so if you haven't gotten there go!


Cartier-Bresson was a French photojournalist who worked around the world capturing post-Stalinist Russia, Maoist China, etc.  Most importantly to me, he was in India when Gandhi was assassinated and he captured some beautiful images of Gandhi's cremation and funeral procession.  


He also captured a rather cheeky photo, at left, of Lord Mountbatten (the British official brought to transfer power from the empire to India), Lady Mountbatten (Mountbatten's wife), and Nehru, the first prime minister of India.  The historical rumor has always been that Nehru was having a torrid affair with Lady Mountbatten... they seemed to get on famously in this picture, at least.  You may think what you like, but I certainly believe it's somehow fitting at the end of the British Raj that Nehru was making fools of the British in all sorts of respects and different fashions...


Anyway, the exhibit was lovely and I fell in love with a beautiful book in the museum store, Henri Cartier-Bresson In India,  where I got this image.